Half Day Whale Watch Cruise
- Duration: 6 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Hervey Bay, QLD
- Product code: MWWC
We will depart at 7:45am and travel to Kingfisher Bay Resort on Fraser Island where we will collect some guests. This detour is approximately 30mins and takes you deeper into the Scenic Great Sandy Strait Marine Park where we will pass the islands of Hervey Bay including Big Woody Island (Tooliewah), Duck and Picnic Island and Little Woody Island, with commentary on the local history of the lighthouses and islands had to do with immigration to the port of Maryborough as well as the chance to spot other inhabitants of the area including birds, turtles, dolphins and dugongs.
Leaving Kingfisher Bay Resort Jetty the captain will then aim QuickCat II for Platypus Bay, 30 minutes after departing Kingfisher Bay Resort you will find yourself cruising along the pristine beaches of the western coast of Fraser Island.
This is where we will start looking for our beautiful humpback whales, with our eyes peeled and pointing fingers at the ready we will look for the tell tale signs of a humpback whale, which can be as small as a little glisten on the horizon or a massive splash from a whale breaching close by, whatever sign gives them away, you can be assured we are going to take a closer look.
With multiple viewing levels you can watch from above or get down close to to the action, if the opportunity arises and the whales decide to hang around we may have the chance to put you in the water with them... yes that's right swimming with Humpback Whales. Please See our Whale Swim Information page for more details
After we are all whaled out we need to start making our return trip back, on our way back we hug the remote western beaches of Fraser Island, that showcases white pristine beaches, colourful sand cliffs, freshwater creeks spilling water across the beach into Platypus bay and don't forget the chance of seeing a dingo roaming the tide line looking for its next meal. Great photo opportunities everywhere!
When we arrive back at Kingfisher Bay Resort we will say goodbye to our Resort guests and the guests from Hervey Bay who have decided to extend their ticket and include lunch on Fraser Island.See our Whales and lunch at Fraser Island Package. Those that don't wish to extend their ticket to include lunch on Fraser Island will remain on board and enjoy the scenic tour back through the Great Sandy Straits to Urangan Boat Harbour disembarking at approximately 1:30PM
- Tea & Coffee and light refreshments
- Informative Commentary + Local Knowledge & History
- Australia's most experienced Whale Watch crew
- Hydrophone equipped to listen to the beautiful singing of the whales underwater
- Fully licensed bar for food and beverage purchases
- Non smoking vessel
- Mask, Snorkel, Towel and Swimwear (if you are planning to swim)
- Camera (preferably waterproof)
- Sense of adventure
- Money for drinks, snacks, souvenirs, whale swim if desired.
- 7:45AM and returns at 1:30PM
Please ensure all guests check in to our floating office at least 15 minutes prior to your departure time. We don’t want you to miss the boat. We are the only floating office located right at the boat, look for the Red Harpoon Gun on the board walk and you have found us. Walk through the office check in with one of our lovely office staff members and head on through onto Quick Cat II.
Half Day Whale Watch: Please check in at 7:30AM
If you experience unexpected delays please call us as soon as you can. If you cannot make departure time your ticket is transferable to another cruise (subject to availability)Additional Extras
- Exciting opportunity to Swim with the Humpback Whales - Extra $80.00 per person to be paid during the tour (Weather permitting & conditions apply)
- Check out our exclusive "Whales & Lunch @ Fraser" for an extra $35.00 on top of your ticket - AMAZING VALUE!
INFO YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE YOUR CRUISEWeather & Sea Conditions
The team at Hervey Bay Whale Watch have been doing this for a long time and know the bay and the conditions well.
Quick Cat II is one of the best "Sea boats" in the fleet. We usually have great conditions and the bay is usually protected and calm BUT… Sometimes it may get a bit rough!
We will never leave the harbour if conditions are dangerous and we will advise you of the expected conditions before departure. Different people have different expectations, some people aren’t bothered by rough days, but we want you to enjoy your experience with us so if it’s a rough day we are happy to re book your cruise for a calmer day.
If the day is too rough to be enjoyable, we will advise you as soon as possible that the cruise will be cancelled. You have the choice of a refund or to book for another cruise.Guarantee
It is extremely rare that we don't find whales on our Whale Watching cruises, however, occasionally this may happen very early in the season or very late in the season. This is why we set our start and finish dates to minimise the chance of this happening and minimise the chance of leaving passengers disappointed.
Hervey Bay Whale Watch have always guaranteed whale sightings. This means that if you have joined us for our Whale Watch Cruise and for some reason we don’t see whales, your ticket is valid for any of our other Whale Watch Cruises until you see the majestic Humpback Whales. (Subject to availability)
This company has always maintained this policy. The longest time taken to redeem a ticket was 15 years so the guarantee stands for as long as it takes. It was nice to have the customers return after 15 years!Conditions
- Hervey Bay Whale Watch reserve the right to substitute another vessel at any time
- Cruise may be cancelled or substituted due to weather or tide conditions or if viable passenger numbers are not reached
- Please note due to COVID-19 reducing our capacity that this cruise may not go via Kingfisher Bay if the numbers aren't viable. We will endeavor to give you as much notice as possible and if cancelled the lunch portion of your ticket ($35pp) will be refunded.Your whale experience will not be interrupted by this.